9832 supporters in this campaign
I am a witness
The I am a Witness campaign invites people to learn about the case on First Nations child welfare and Jordan's Principle and to decide for themselves whether or not they think there is discrimination against First Nations children and youth. Visit the Tribunal Timeline and Documents for the latest on the case.
- November 29, 2019 - Another win for First Nations children and their families as the Honourable Mr. Justice Favel dismisses Canada's motion asking for a stay of order of 2019 CHRT 39 for compensation. Read the ruling here.
- Models for First Nations Child & Family Service Delivery in Canada (info sheet)
- First Nations Child and Family Service Agency Funding Changes per the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (including information on Jordan's Principle)
On January 26, 2016, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal found that Canada discriminates against First Nations children in its provision of the First Nations Child and Family Services Program and by failing to implement Jordan's Principle. The Tribunal ruling was a victory not only for First Nations kids, but for all people in Canada who believe in love and fairness. But kids still need your help—here's what you can do:
- Read about the ruling and find out what it means.
- Read about the Spirit Bear Plan.
- Write to the Prime Minister or your Member of Parliament for immediate implementation of the Spirit Bear Plan to end inequalities in public services for First Nations children youth, and families (sample letter here).
- Follow @Caringsociety and @SpiritBear on Twitter and Facebook and repost updates.
The Caring Society gratefully acknowledges the generous legal support of
Anne Levesque, Equality Law and the University of Ottawa
Barbara McIsaac, McIsaac Law
To report a Jordan's Principle case, call: 1-855-JP-CHILD (1-855-572-4453)
Or visit canada.ca/jordans-principle. If you have any difficulties accessing services through Jordan's Principle, please contact your provincial child advocate or ombudsperson or the 24-hour Jordan's Principle line.