9808 supporters in this campaign
I am a witness
The I am a Witness campaign invites people to learn about the case on First Nations child welfare and Jordan's Principle and to decide for themselves whether or not they think there is discrimination against First Nations children and youth. Visit the Tribunal Timeline and Documents for the latest on the case.
- November 25-26, 2019 - Federal Court to hear arguments on stay of proceedings filed by the Government of Canada. Hearings to take place at Supreme Court of Canada (301 Wellington Street, Ottawa) in the East Courtroom. Hearings will be live broadcast for those who cannot attend - link to follow.
- Models for First Nations Child & Family Service Delivery in Canada (info sheet)
- First Nations Child and Family Service Agency Funding Changes per the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (including information on Jordan's Principle)
On January 26, 2016, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal found that Canada discriminates against First Nations children in its provision of the First Nations Child and Family Services Program and by failing to implement Jordan's Principle. The Tribunal ruling was a victory not only for First Nations kids, but for all people in Canada who believe in love and fairness. But kids still need your help—here's what you can do:
- Read about the ruling and find out what it means.
- Read about the Spirit Bear Plan.
- Write to the Prime Minister or your Member of Parliament for immediate implementation of the Spirit Bear Plan to end inequalities in public services for First Nations children youth, and families (sample letter here).
- Follow @Caringsociety and @SpiritBear on Twitter and Facebook and repost updates.
The Caring Society gratefully acknowledges the generous legal support of
Anne Levesque, Equality Law and the University of Ottawa
Barbara McIsaac, McIsaac Law
To report a Jordan's Principle case, call the 24-hour line:
English: 1-855-JP-CHILD (1-855-572-4453)
Or visit canada.ca/jordans-principle. If you have any difficulties, please contact the Caring Society at email@example.com or (613) 230-5885.