Shannen's Dream Scholarship
Nomination closing date
The Shannen’s Dream Scholarship is named in honour of Shannen Koostachin, a courageous young leader from Attawapiskat First Nation who sparked a national movement for safe and comfy schools for First Nations students. Learn more about Shannen and her legacy here.
The Shannen’s Dream Scholarship is a $2500 award to assist First Nations youth with post-secondary education costs (university, college, trades). As a “pay-it-forward” scholarship, winners must make a fair and measurable contribution to the Shannen’s Dream campaign or related First Nations initiative as a condition of receiving the award. The Shannen’s Dream Scholarship is made possible by a generous donation from the Collure family from Richmond Hill, Ontario.
Information and eligibility:
- Open to First Nations youth 30 years old and under.
- Must be enrolled in a post-secondary program (university, college or trade school) with a duration of no less than 13 weeks.
- Consideration criteria: 1) the recipient contributes to their First Nations community (urban or rural) and, 2) demonstrates academic or extra-curricular accomplishments at school, such as taking part in clubs or sports teams.
- "Pay-it-forward" requirement: The recipient agrees to make a fair and measurable contribution to Shannen’s Dream or a related First Nations initiative as a condition of the award. The recipient must agree to provide the scholarship committee with details of their contribution within one year of receiving the award.
- This is a one-time award not renewable to past recipients.
- Financial need will be considered.
How to apply:
Please check your application package carefully. Incomplete applications will not be considered. While we appreciate all applications, as a small organization, we can only contact the successful applicant.
For more information, please contact us at: email@example.com