Honouring Memories, Planting Dreams Seed Packets
Honouring Memories, Planting Dreams Seed Packets are now available for $4 each plus shipping! Each seed packet is full of perennial wildflower seeds. Purchase them here.
A packet contains: Black Eyed Susan, Gaillardia Lance Leaf Coreopsis, Catchfly, Iceland Poppy, Wild Lupins, Purple Coneflower, Evening Scented Primrose, Russell Lupines, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Shasta Daisy, Sweet William, Wallflower.
These flowers range in height from 25cm to 120cm. Each seed packets cover an area of approximately 4 ¼ x 4 ¼ feet.
Directions as per Ontario Seed Company Ltd.
Time of Planting
- Sow wildflower seeds into a prepared seedbed from early May through mid-June or in the fall from mid-September through to late October.
- Late fall sowings additionally allow any dormant seed to be naturally stratified over the winter.
- A very early spring sowing in late March and early April is also effective at providing natural stratification on any dormant seed.
- Remove weeds by hand or apply an organic non-selective herbicide.
- Loosen soil to 2.5 cm (1") depth with a stiff rake, cultivator or hoe.
- Flowers will germinate and establish themselves much better when planted into a bed of well drained loose soil, rather than dense or compacted topsoil.
- Broadcast the seed and let mother nature do the rest.
- Smaller seeds can be mixed with dry sand to improve distribution when sowing.
- Natural forces such as rain, snow and frost-heaving of the soil will work the seed down into the soil bed.
- Irrigate through the first growing season as needed.